Author signings and special events are on tap at Ducks Cottage and Downtown Books throughout October. All events are free and open to the public, and books for all signings will be available for purchase on-site. Following is a schedule of events:
- 5-7:30 p.m.: Two authors will appear at Downtown Books:
- Dwayne Walls Jr.,
- whose book “Backstage at the Lost Colony,” has been a local hit, will sign copies of the book. A combination of pictures, anecdotes and stories about the life behind the scenes, the book serves as a keepsake and love-letter to America’s longest running outdoor drama.
- Charles Oldham
- has just released “The Senator’s Son,” a book that reopens the unsolved mystery of the disappearance of 8-year-old Kenneth Beasley, the son of a state senator, in 1905 in Currituck. More than a year later, a political rival was charged in connection with the disappearance, and a trial ensued that ripped apart two families and shocked the state.
As an added bonus, Outer Banks Distillery will be at the shop with a pop-up tasting table.
- 9-11 a.m.: Author Charles Oldham will be signing copies of The Senator’s Sun at Duck’s Cottage, 1240 Duck Road, Duck.
- 10 a.m.: Downtown Books presents a “Kissing Hand” story time with author Audrey Penn & Chester at the Manteo branch of the Dare County Library. Join Audrey & Chester in celebrating the 25th anniversary of “The Kissing Hand,” a best-seller and favorite of children world wide. Chester is afraid to leave his mother and go off to school, but she shows him a little trick that keeps her with him until they are reunited at the end of the day. Children will get to meet Audrey and have their picture taken with Chester the Raccoon. Books may be pre-ordered by calling (252) 473-1056. The event is free and open to the public.
- 5-7 p.m.: Painted
- Pumpkin Contest. Get out your paintbrushes and imagination! Drop your painted pumpkin off Oct. 29-30 then come back on Halloween for the Downtown festivities and visit the shop’s Haunted Bookstore for a chance to vote for your favorite.