- Details: Owned and operated by a husband and wife team, this quirky little building is home to countless “scratchmade” goodies. The glass cases overflow with cinnamon buns, cookies, brownies, croissants, muffins, and bread. Bars of key lime pie and cheesecake are also available if you are looking for more. Each sweet treat is almost as beautiful as it is delicious.
- Where: 57544 NC-12, Hatteras
- Hours: 7 a.m.-noon daily
- Info: 252-986-0048; https://www.scratchmadesnackery.com/
Orange Blossom Bakery and Cafe
- Details: Converted from hotel to bakery in the 1980s, Orange Blossom has become a Hatteras Island staple. The menu features fresh doughnuts, sticky buns, and breakfast sandwiches. Orange Blossom is most famous for their apple uglies, a magical marriage between doughnut dough and apples.
- Where: 47206 NC-12 Buxton
- Hours: 6:30-11 a.m. daily
- Info: 252-995-4109; http://orangeblossombakery.com/
Gingerbread House Bakery and Pizza
- Details: Since 1975, this whimsical building straight from an old fairy tale has sold a variety of scratched made pastries and jumbo cookies. Gingerbread House takes bakery a step further and has an extensive pizza menu available for those looking for something a bit more savory. And, yes, they do have gingerbread.
- Where: 52715 NC-12, Frisco
- Hours: 4:30-9 p.m.. Tuesday-Saturday
- Info: 252-995-5204; http://gbhbakery.com/
Muffins and Scones
- Details: A new addition to Avon and a sister business to Cups and Cones, this brightly colored bakery offers a variety of cakes and sweet treats, coffee, and bagels. For those who aren’t early risers, lunch is also available.
- Where: 40126 NC-12, Avon
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-2 p.m. daily
- Info: 252-986-5109; https://www.facebook.com/muffinsandscones/