Taqueria Las Ahumaderas
- Details: Hatteras Island’s first food truck found a regular home alongside Highway 12 in Rodanthe. The brightly painted yellow truck offers a mouthwatering mix of authentic Mexican street food and fresh seafood. Family run and operated, Taqueria Las Ahumaderas is well worth a trip to the island’s northernmost village. If you are traveling far, call ahead. Like all food trucks, sometimes a busy day or bad weather means they have to close early.
- Where: 24594 NC-12, Rodanthe
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday
- Info: 252-548-9145; email@example.com
Dizzy’s Ice Cream Trucks
Details: Touted as Hatteras’s original ice cream truck, Dizzy’s has been locally owned and operated since 2004. There is no denying the classic American nostalgia of the tinkling songs of a passing ice cream truck, but Dizzy’s takes it a step further by offering quality brands like Magnum and Blue Bunny along side the ice cream truck classics. For an added bonus, most trucks come stocked with dog treats for the furrier members of the family.
- Where: Trucks drive through every village on Hatteras Island.
- Hours: Noon-9 p.m. daily
- Info: facebook.com/pg/Dizzys-Ice-Cream-Trucks-709254895793896/
Uncle Frank’s Hotdogs and BBQ
- Details: While Uncle Frank’s is the one location on this list that isn’t a food truck, it is a very quick and easy walk-up window for a fast and delicious bite. Offering a substantial menu of hot dogs with creative toppings, Uncle Frank’s recently expanded to offer BBQ and all the fixin’s. Outdoor seating is available if you don’t want to take your meal to go or you want to enjoy a meal with Fido by your side.
- Where: 25972 NC-12, Waves
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday
- Info: 252-715-5200, https://unclefranksobx.com/
Lumpy’s Breakfast and Burgers
- Details: The newest food truck on Hatteras Island, Lumpy’s just opened for the 2019 season. Serving breakfast and burgers this inconspicuous spot offers classic breakfast sandwiches and an impressively extensive burger menu, including vegetarian options. Flat top classics like grilled cheese on Texas toast are also on the menu. Like all food trucks, remember sometimes a busy day or bad weather means they have to close early.
- Where: 23781 NC-12, Rodanthe
- Hours: 6 a.m-8 p.m., daily
- Info: 252-564-2292