- Details: Open since 2002, everything from the egg rolls to the key lime pie homemade. The menu features something for everyone including classic Chinese dishes like lo mein and General Tso’s chicken. The crabcakes are famous for being entirely lump crab with no filler. Cajun tuna tacos hit the spot and for those looking for something a little lighter, be sure to try their homemade Asian vinaigrette on their fresh salads.
- Where: 26006 NC-12, Waves
- Hours: 5-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday
- Info: 252-987-1080, boardwoksouth.com/
Pop’s Raw Bar and Grill
- Details: This unassuming little roadside spot specializes in fried and steamed seafood in a laid back, dive-like environment. Live music happens every Friday, and the menu is straightforward and classic. Stop in for a relaxed drink, a dozen oysters, and a frosty beverage.
- Where: 48967 NC-12, Buxton
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday
- Info: 252-995-7734
Diamond Shoals Seafood Market and Restaurant
- Details: This spot ticks three boxes: seafood market, restaurant, and sushi bar. The only sushi bar on Hatteras Island, fresh sushi with locally caught fish is available at the bar or in the restaurant during dinner every night except Sunday. The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner and the menu is packed with seafood, sandwiches, and pastas.
- Where: 46843 NC-12, Buxton
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
- Info: (252) 995-5217; diamondshoalsrestaurant.com/
Turner’s High Moon Bar
- Details: This spot is truly unlike anything else on Hatteras Island. A bar without a kitchen, a membership is required, though it’s a mere $1 and is good for a year. Turner’s offers 21 draft beers, eight draft wines, and an extensive menu of beer, wine, and cocktails. There is live music five nights a week, and food is available from Chef Natalie Walden of the Gypsy Fish. This brightly colored spot features an 18’ shuffleboard table and late-night socializing.
- Where: 40618 NC-12, Avon
- Hours: Noon-2 a.m. daily
- Info: 252-995-6666; turnershighmoon.com/