Currituck County offers a treasure trove of spots that should not be missed. Visitors to the Outer Banks should not miss the opportunity to check out some of the highlights.
Following is a sampling of what awaits happy wanderers:
The 2,600-acre site was the first Audubon center in the State of North Carolina. One of the last pieces of untouched property on the northeastern portion of the Outer Banks, the sanctuary protects marshes along Currituck Sound, bottomland areas, and dry sandy areas and upland maritime forests. The public is invited to enjoy the area through Kayak tours, public programs and a 2.5 mile nature trail that is open from dawn to dusk.
The small rural hunting and fishing community, surrounded by the waters of Knotts Island Bay and the Currituck Sound, is home to Mackay Island National Wildlife Refuge. Established in 1960, the Refuge is a great place for bird watching, as well as biking, hiking, camping, boating, fishing and hunting. There are numerous duck hunting blinds located in the bay, as well as on land. It also is home to the Swan Island Hunting Club, a guided duck-hunting club located across the bay on Swan Island.
Currituck Light Station
Construction of the lighthouse, which began in 1873, was the result of eight vessels that ran aground on Currituck Beach the same night in 1852. The incident helped convince Congress to appropriate money for the Currituck Beach Lighthouse in 1854. At a height of 158 feet above sea level, the red brick lighthouse has 220 steps, and visitors are invited to climb to the top — weather permitting — from early-spring through Thanksgiving weekend. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, with the exception of one night in late-October, when the site remains open after dark for Historic Corolla Village’s annual Halloween event, Creepy in Corolla.
A landmark on the Currituck Outer Banks, the opulent mansion, called Whalehead, was built in the mid-1920s by railroad executive Edward Collings and Marie Louise Knight. The couple summered at their estate ‘Stony Brook’ — located outside Newport, Rhode Island, in Middletown — and used Corolla Island as their winter residence from 1925 to 1934.
The home boasts art nouveau architectural styling and accented with Tiffany lamps, five chimneys, cork-tiled floors, brass duck head and water lily hardware. The mansion stood isolated for years on these remote barrier islands and has been fully restored. Located just off Highway 12. It is open year-round. Hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Info: (252) 453-9040, whaleheadwedding.com
Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education
The Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education offers programs through which the general public and educators can learn about wildlife, natural history and outdoor skills. The center is located off of Highway 12 in Currituck Heritage Park, between the Whalehead Club and Currituck Beach Lighthouse.